What are the Pros and Cons of Using a Training Software?
Even the best training management systems won’t solve the entire problem of educating your staff. Before you put down money on a software package, you’ll need to determine whether or not it will fit into the big picture of your company’s employee development strategy. You should also ask yourself if it’s the right time to invest in a software training program.
Here are some of the basic pros and cons when it comes to using training software:
Pros of Using a Training SoftwareEmployee training software can be a game-changer for your team’s performance. Depending on the software, training can allow you to add team members and bigger jobs to your roster within a shorter period than you might expect. Here are some other pros:
- A training software automates manual tasks like registration confirmations, reminders, and surveys
- Stores each person’s in-progress and completed training and interactions
- Encourages promotions and growth within your team
- Increases employee retention
- Tracks renewal requirements and upcoming deadlines for individual learners
- Provides fully customizable reports
- Manages and optimizes training budget
- Tracks costs
- Monitors profits
- Saves money on administrative staff
Cons of Using a Training Software
Training software is a big investment, and your company may not be ready to purchase and utilize a software program to the degree that it is meant to be implemented. Other factors to consider:
- Training management software takes time to implement
- Requires training on how to use and integrate the software
- Some options have no customization
- The wrong software won’t provide for the specific needs of the Dirt World
- Teams may struggle to manage change
- Some software can have hidden costs and fees
- It can require buy-in from the team
Should I purchase training management software?
Training software can come with a hefty price tag, and it won’t fix deeper problems, like cultural and leadership issues. If your team isn’t ready to engage, there may be things that need attention before purchasing software. Also, the wrong software won’t solve Dirt World problems.
An excellent training management system incorporates software designed to automate hundreds of tasks that take valuable time and energy and will provide training data that you can use to sharpen your strategy. Moreso, training software will enable you to unify efforts to catalog and measure training so your team can focus on excelling in their roles.
Training software is the tool you need going forward to invest in your people. Read about our Dirt World software approach here, and find out why we look at the whole picture of solving the people problem.
More aboutHow to Run a Successful Training Program (Without a Training Manager) How to Help Your Construction Business Grow More Efficiently What Is an Articulated Truck and What Does It Do?
Meet the Expert
Marilee Brewer's philosophy on heavy civil construction is that everything—even the Bingham Canyon Mine and the Willis Tower—starts with ideas put into words. An avid writer and researcher, Marilee brings inspiration, storytelling, and human candor to Dirt World information. Her writing focuses on providing content that enhances user experience, improves engagement, and ultimately increases revenue. A trained Linguist and social media storyteller, ask her for story and social media writing tips.